make a 3d frame with an edge punch

3d frame

I try to make Friday mornings my 'maker for fun' day and I catch up on my Project Life pages. Today I decided to work on a little framed piece for my studio.

I used my Fiskars Border Punch, Leave It to Weaver punch which I typically use with ribbons. This time I decided to make a 3D frame for one of my Spring Bouquet flowers. If you'd like to tackle something similar here's how I did it:

Step 1
Punch out the border of a page and cut the sheet 3/4 of the way through the punched out slits. That will leave you with a strip that a solid edge and one that has slits down the other side.

3d frame

Step 2
Fold all the tabs on the strip in one direction. Cut out a ring that is just a bit wider than the tabs. I used my electronic cutter but you can just as easily use a circle cutter.

3d frame

Step 3
Place the folded tabs strip through the paper ring and let it slide into position until there are no gaps between the raised edge and the ring. Once both pieces are in place use glue to secure the tabs to the underside of the ring.

3d frame

Step 4
I attached the ring to the back of my frame with adhesive foam so that it's a bit raised and adds more dimension to the piece. Lastly I added the flower to the center with a brad and it's all done!

3d frame

Tips
If you have other paper edge punches you can do the same but you'd have to manually cut the tabs on the opposite edge. If you do have the ribbon punch you can use it in combination with another edge punch and use the tabs on one side and the decorative edge on the other.

If you have any other questions just let me know!

Have a great weekend everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment